Monday, April 6, 2015

Outline for Singing Time on 4-12

I miss Primary!  We of course loved General Conference this past weekend, but I also had to miss Primary the week prior.  To help my substitute for the week I was out, I gave her my lesson plan for 3-29.  Since she wasn't very familiar with some of my planned activities, she let me keep them for this coming week.  Hence, my plan for this Sunday will have some similarities to 3-29's outline. 

President Monson during April 2015 General Conference

Junior Primary


"Do As I'm Doing" (p. 276)

Simon Says-attention activity for following the prophet

"Follow the Prophet" (p.110)- v. Pres. Monson-Sing a Story for thoughts from conference. Get the description of this powerful activity below.

"Did Jesus Really Live Again?" (p.64)- v.2-unscramble posters, v.3-paper plate actions (This is our last week before we perform this song in sacrament meeting, so I want to make sure we sing it lots!)

"I Know That My Savior Loves Me"-ASL

Senior Primary


Simon Says-attention activity for following the prophet

"Follow the Prophet" (p.110)- v. Pres. Monson-Sing a Story (described below) for thoughts from conference

"Did Jesus Really Live Again?" (p.64) -v.2 -unscramble Jr. posters, v.3-envelope game

"I Know That My Savior Loves Me"-ASL

How to Sing a Story


When I first participated in this activity in a Primary music workshop by Sharla Dance, I knew I had to provide the opportunity to my Primary children.  The idea is simple:  you tell a story that demonstrates the principle found in your song, and you intersperse lines of that song, singing a cappella by yourself.  The result is an opportunity for the Holy Ghost to powerfully testify of that principle's truthfulness.  I don't use this activity often, so that it doesn't become commonplace, but each time I've presented Sing a Story, I've felt the Spirit intensely.  Once, I sang "I Stand All Amazed" (Hymns #193) with the story of a boy whose dad was in jail, learning about God's love.  Another time, I sang "Help Me, Dear Father" (p.99) about my own experience learning how to forgive my dad after I was angry with him.  

The Conference Center in Salt Lake City, Utah
This week, I'll be singing the President Monson verse of "Follow the Prophet" (p.110) and telling the story of a boy wanting to follow Pres. Monson but not knowing how at first.  As part of this story, I'll include some of the direct invitations that Pres. Monson extended during this General Conference.  Here's how it might start when you put it together (talking in regular type, singing in italics):

One Example


Connor bounced down onto the couch, hugging a pillow.  "Make sure you have a good spot," Mom said.  "General Conference is about to start!" --Heavenly Father loves us and wants us to return-- Connor's parents had taught him that Heavenly Father gave us General Conference so we could hear the words of the prophetbut it was hard to listen for so long and figure out what the prophet was actually asking him to do! --He blesses us with prophets who help us to learn.--Luckily, his mom had an idea that really helped him figure out how to follow the prophet. They listened especially closely to Pres. Monson's talks, taking notes on the things he asked everyone to do.--President Monson humbly leads God's church today--And then after Conference, they typed them up and read them as a family.--As we heed his words we'll walk a righteous way.--Here's one thing Connor heard Pres. Monson ask everyone to do:  "May we offer prayers of gratitude for [Jesus's] great and marvelous gifts to us."--Follow the prophet--etc...

When I tell the story with an animated voice, the kids are drawn in. I admit that I have to practice a lot, so that I can tell the story without looking at any notes!  When I've prepared well, and when I've prayed for help to present the story in the best way, it is always a beautiful experience. 


Happy Singing!


No comments:

Post a Comment